3.17.2014

it's monday, i'm in luck...

happy st. paddy's day!

On this lucky day, this part-Irish blogger and mom has decided to make a return to posting. The adjustment from two to three children has been heart wrenching and wonderful. Adding a newborn to the family at the same time as we settled in to our new home and have been working on selling our condo? Well, it's been an adventure we won't forget. Ever. I have so much to say and to share from photos to project life to recipes (yes, I've been cooking too!). Today is for a photo share and what we are having for dinner on this Irish eve.

These three cuties indulged me in a few photos this morning, sporting their green and orange. The Irish in their blood may be quite diluted but, they sure wear the colors well!

As for dinner, I thought briefly about making corned beef and cabbage. While it's okay once a year, it's just not my favorite meal. Considering that it would only be Mr. Boom and I eating the meal (the boys? Ha!), I decided the effort was better spent on something else. It happens to be frigid outside - in the 20's - so, a hearty soup seemed in order. Enter a new favorite recipe: Zuppa Tuscana. I know, I know. Italian soup? But, it totally counts...see?

Make this. You'll be so glad you did!

Zuppa Tuscana
Credit: SteakNPotatoesKindaGurl
  • 4 slices bacon, diced
  • 1 lb ground hot Italian sausage
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 cups (32 oz) chicken stock
  • 3 cups russet potatoes, cubed
  • 3/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups kale, in bite size pieces
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • parmesan cheese, grated
In a large pot, cook the bacon until crispy. Drain the grease. Add the sausage, breaking it apart as it cooks. Once sausage is browned and crumbled, drain off grease leaving a tbsp to saute the onion.

Push the sausage and bacon to the edge of the pot and add the onion to the center; saute until translucent; add garlic; saute until fragrant.

Stir in the stock and potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Add kale (I used a baby kale and spinach mix) and whipping cream. Bring to a simmer. Top with parmesan cheese, when serving.

NOTES:
- Instead of hot italian sausage, I used mild and added some crushed red pepper
- After the first time I made this recipe, my husnad asked if it could be creamier/thicker instead of brothy. This time (as pictured above), just before adding the kale and cream, I removed about 1 cup of the potatoes and some broth and blended them in my Magic Bullet then added back to the soup pot. Instant creamy texture without cooking the soup down. Perfect! I'll do this each time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the pic!! Wish we were close enough to share that yummy dish!!

Murphy's Law said...

They are so utterly adorable. You just wanna smooch them.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails